Services to Residents with Disabilities
Kenilworth Park District is a partner with Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA). Formed in 1970, NSSRA is an extension of ten park districts, two cities and one village in the northern suburbs of Chicago and provides and facilitates year-round recreation programs and services for children, teens and adults with disabilities. NSSRA offers recreation, sport, cultural, social, and leisure programs and events available throughout the year, creating new experiences, opportunities for skill development, leisure time, and perhaps most importantly, friendship.NSSRA has been creating an environment of belonging through play since 1970, and has the distinction of being the first Special Recreation Association in the country.
We believe that everyone should have the chance to try something new. This means you have the opportunity to participate in any one of NSSRA’s nearly 600 annual programs, or that you have the opportunity to participate in one of Kenilworth Park District’s programs with the assistance of an NSSRA Inclusion companion.
Kenilworth Park District program Inclusion services are available to residents with special needs at no additional cost to the family. Inclusion services may include, when necessary, staff training, program modifications/adaptations, modified equipment and program observations.
Reasons to Request Inclusion Services
- A parent or family member recognizes that a participant would benefit from additional support in a Kenilworth Park District program
- Kenilworth Park District staff identifies a need for additional support, for safety and programmatic reasons, and communicates this need to the family
Requesting Inclusion Services
When registering for a Kenilworth Park District program for the first time:
- Mark the accommodation section of the registration form to indicate that the participant will require assistance from NSSRA
- Once your registration form is submitted, the Kenilworth Park District will contact you to discuss the type of Inclusion support needed for the participant
- The Kenilworth Park District will provide NSSRA with an Inclusion request that contains both program and participant information
- You will be contacted by NSSRA to discuss the needs of the participant and get input on the type of support required
- NSSRA will work with the Kenilworth Park District to put the necessary Inclusion accommodations in place for participation in the desired program(s)
- Communication between you, NSSRA, and Kenilworth Park District staff continues throughout the Inclusion process
For more information regarding Kenilworth Park District Inclusion services contact:
Kenilworth Park District
Recreation Manager for Inclusion
(847) 509-9400 x6828
For more information about NSSRA visit www.nssra.org.
3105 MacArthur Blvd.
Northbrook, IL 60062
View NSSRA’s Program Guide on their website at www.nssra.org.
Work is play at NSSRA! To join the fun, visit http://www.nssra.org/jobs to view current openings and complete an online application.