Mahoney Park Wildflower and Bird Sanctuary
Public Parks were an important part of the City Beautiful movement. Until the 1930s, Kenilworth’s parkland was concentrated around the train station along Kenilworth Avenue. But in 1931, Kenilworth received a significant addition to its parks with the establishment of Mahoney Park.
Daniel Mahoney and his wife Bridget purchased a 38-acre homestead from the federal government in the mid-1800s. Their homestead was in the southeast part of today’s Kenilworth and included the land that later became Mahoney park. In 1922, after Daniel and Bridget died part of the land was sold to developers and the rest was retained by their daughter, Mary. In Mary’s will, she bequeathed her land to the Village of Kenilworth to be used as a park.
The Kenilworth Home and Garden Club recommended to the village that the park be used as a wildflower preserve and bird sanctuary. In 1933, KHGC secured landscape architect Jens Jensen to develop a plan for the park. The bulk of the project was paid for with funds provided by the federal government’s Civil Works Administration. The work was done by CWA crews and supervised by Jensen and the Kenilworth park District. The park was added to National Register of Historic Places in April of 1985.
In 2014, the Kenilworth Park District obtained a grant from ComEd OpenLands which allocated funding for the revitalization of the original bird bath on the west side of the park. The installation of a circulation pump restored the babbling brook sounds and presented a warm invitation to local birds. The Park is meticulously maintained by local volunteer garden club members and the Kenilworth Park District. The property is owned by the Village of Kenilworth.