Move mouse cursor or scroll left and right to view
Townley Field was named after Robert Townley, the physical education teacher at Joseph Sears School and Scoutmaster of Kenilworth’s Troop 13 Boy Scouts from 1922-1955. As Joseph Sears School continued to grow, so did Townley Field. After the construction of the Stuart Memorial Building in 1972, the Kenilworth Planning and Zoning Commission proposed removing portions of Richmond Road and Melrose Avenue from a point just north of the new Village Hall. The additional land north of Village Hall was to be converted into recreational facilities. While most of the proposals failed, they resulted in the 1973 Tennis Court Referendum proposing the inclusion of four tennis courts and expanding Townley Field. After the referendum failed, the efforts to expand Townley Field and remove portions of Richmond and Melrose continued and eventually passed. The expansion to Townley Field was converted into green space and the Tot Lot playground, which was completed in 2005.
Near the playground, the Circle Garden is located at the terminus of Richmond Road and is maintained by the Garden Arts Club, which was founded in 1959.